Skip to main content

Self-Care When You’re Having a Hard Mental-Health Day




Some days, taking care of yourself feels natural. Other days, simply getting out of bed, answering a message, or deciding what to eat can feel overwhelming.


When anxiety is loud, depression feels heavy, or your emotions become difficult to manage, self-care may look very different—and that is okay.


Self-care on a hard mental-health day is not about forcing yourself to be positive or pretending everything is fine. It is about treating yourself gently while you make it through the moment. You do not have to fix your entire life today. Sometimes, the goal is simply to care for yourself enough to reach tomorrow.


Start With Your Basic Needs


When your mind is overwhelmed, return to the basics. Ask yourself:


- Have I had anything to drink?

- Have I eaten something today?

- Have I taken my prescribed medication?

- Do I need a shower, fresh clothes, or more rest?


You do not have to prepare a full meal or complete a long routine. Drink a glass of water. Eat something simple. Wash your face if a shower feels like too much. Choose the smallest step you can manage and let that be enough.


Make Your World Smaller for a Moment


On difficult days, thinking about everything at once can make anxiety and sadness feel even heavier. Instead of focusing on the entire day, focus on the next ten minutes.


Ask yourself, “What do I need right now?”


Maybe you need silence, a comforting show, fresh air, a warm blanket, or someone safe to talk to. You are allowed to take things one moment at a time.


Use a Grounding Exercise


Grounding can bring your attention back to the present when your thoughts are racing or you feel emotionally overwhelmed. Try the 5-4-3-2-1 method:


- Name five things you can see.

- Name four things you can feel.

- Name three things you can hear.

- Name two things you can smell.

- Name one thing you can taste.


Take slow breaths as you go. You do not need to rush. The purpose is to remind your mind and body that you are here in the present moment.


Speak to Yourself With Kindness


Pay attention to the way you speak to yourself. Would you say those same words to someone you love who was struggling?


A hard day does not make you weak, lazy, or a failure. It makes you human.


Try replacing harsh thoughts with gentle reminders:


- “I am doing the best I can today.”

- “I do not have to solve everything right now.”

- “Resting does not mean I am giving up.”

- “My feelings are real, but they will not always feel this intense.”

- “I deserve care, even on the days when I do not feel like myself.”


Give Yourself Permission to Rest


Rest is not something you must earn. Your body and mind may be telling you that they need a pause. Cancel what can be canceled, move slowly, and release the guilt. Resting today may give you the strength you need for tomorrow.


If staying in bed makes you feel worse, try moving to another comfortable place. Sit near a window, step outside for a few minutes, or stretch gently. Small changes in your surroundings can sometimes help shift how you feel.


Reach Out to Someone Safe


You do not have to carry everything alone. Send a simple message to someone you trust:


“I’m having a hard day and could use some support.”


You do not need to explain everything. Sometimes, hearing a familiar voice or knowing someone is there can make the moment feel less lonely.


If talking feels too difficult, ask them to stay on the phone with you, watch a show together, or check on you later. Support does not always require a deep conversation.


Choose Comfort Without Judgment


Listen to calming music. Hold a pillow. Wrap yourself in a soft blanket. Write your feelings down. Watch something familiar. Sit with a pet. Cry if you need to.


Comfort is not childish or selfish—it is one way of showing yourself compassion.


You can also create a small self-care kit for difficult days. It might include encouraging notes, a journal, headphones, a favorite scent, a stress ball, photos that make you smile, and the phone numbers of people you trust.


Celebrate the Smallest Wins


On a hard mental-health day, things that usually seem small can require tremendous effort.


Getting out of bed is a win. Drinking water is a win. Taking your medicine is a win. Asking for help is a win. Making it through the day is a win.


Your progress does not disappear because you are struggling today. Healing is not a straight line, and one difficult day does not erase how far you have come.


When You Need More Support


Self-care can support your mental health, but it does not replace professional care. If difficult days are becoming more frequent, your symptoms are getting worse, or you are struggling to function, consider contacting a therapist, doctor, counselor, or trusted support person.


If you are in the United States and feel that you may hurt yourself or you are in immediate emotional distress, call or text 988 to reach the Suicide & Crisis Lifeline. If you are in immediate danger, call 911 or visit the nearest emergency room.


A Gentle Reminder


You are not required to be strong every second of every day. You are allowed to pause. You are allowed to ask for help. You are allowed to care for yourself without guilt.


Today may be difficult, but it is only one part of your story. Take the next small step, celebrate yourself for making it this far, and remember:


You are still worthy, even on your hardest days.


The Celebratory Collection—Celebrate everything, big or small, because you are worth celebrating. 🦋

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet the Heart Behind The Celebratory Collection 💜✨

  Hi, I'm Zitaqwa Muhammad , founder of The Celebratory Collection . If you're here, I want you to know something right away: You are worth celebrating. That simple belief is the reason this brand exists. My Story For much of my life, I struggled to celebrate myself. Like many people, I carried pain, trauma, self-doubt, and experiences that made it difficult to see my own worth. I spent years focusing on surviving instead of celebrating. I often put everyone else first and rarely stop to recognize my own growth, strength, or accomplishments. Over time, I began a healing journey that changed my life. Healing wasn't easy. Some days were beautiful. Some days were messy. Some days I wanted to quit. But every step forward taught me something important: every part of the journey deserves recognition—not just the finish line. That lesson became the foundation for everything I create. Why I Started The Celebratory Collection The Celebratory Collection wasn't created just to sel...

Healing Doesn't Have to Look the Same for Everyone

  One of the biggest lessons I've learned on my healing journey is that keeping everything inside was hurting me far more than talking about it. For years, I carried the pain of my abuse in silence. I thought if I didn't talk about it, maybe it would go away. Instead, it became heavier. Through therapy and sharing my story, I discovered something powerful: speaking about my feelings helped me begin to release them. Every time I talked about my experiences, I felt a little less alone and a little more free. Another thing I've learned is that healing isn't one-size-fits-all. For a long time, I thought journaling meant sitting down every single day and filling pages. When I couldn't keep up with that, I felt like I was failing. But the truth is, journaling doesn't have to be a daily task or another item on your to-do list. It doesn't have to feel like a chore. Journal when you need to. Journal when you have something to say. Journal when your heart feels heavy....

A Milestone in My Healing Journey

  To anyone on their journey: ♡ Healing isn't about being perfect. It's about being brave enough to start, honest enough to go deeper, and strong enough to keep choosing YOU. Keep going. You're worth it. ♡ This blog is going to be a little more personal and vulnerable than my usual posts, but I think it's important to share. Over the past several months, I have been participating in both a Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) and later an Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) as part of my mental health healing journey. When I first started PHP, I was nervous, anxious, and honestly not looking forward to sitting in a room full of strangers. I was convinced I wouldn't talk much and had no idea what to expect. What I found instead was one of the most important experiences of my life. Through PHP and IOP, I have come a long way. I met some truly amazing people who reminded me that I wasn't alone. Even though our stories were different, many of us shared the ...