Part of my “Learning to Believe You Deserve Good Things” series
During my childhood, I was told that I wasn’t worth anything. I heard hurtful words about who I was, what I deserved, and what I would become. When you hear those things repeatedly—especially from people who are supposed to love and protect you—they can become the voice inside your own head.
I didn’t just hear those words. I grew up believing them.
I began to believe that I wasn’t good enough. I believed I didn’t deserve nice things, happiness, love, or peace. Whenever I tried to choose something good for myself, I felt guilty. I questioned whether I deserved it. Even when something positive happened, part of me waited for it to disappear because I had been taught not to expect good things.
Those childhood words followed me into adulthood. They affected how I saw myself, the choices I made, and what I accepted from other people. Sometimes I stayed quiet when I should have spoken up. Sometimes I put everyone else before myself because I didn’t believe my needs mattered. I allowed other people’s opinions to become more powerful than my own voice.
But I am learning something important: just because someone said something about me does not make it true.
Their words were not a definition of my worth. They were not a prediction of my future. I was a child who deserved to feel safe, protected, encouraged, and loved. What was said to me was never my fault, and I no longer have to carry those words as if they belong to me.
Now, I am working on getting those old messages out of my head. It isn’t easy because they were planted there for years. Sometimes they still return when I am trying something new, doing something for myself, or stepping outside my comfort zone. That old voice may whisper, “Who do you think you are?” or “You don’t deserve this.”
But now I am learning to answer it.
I remind myself that I am worthy. I remind myself that I survived things that were meant to break me. I remind myself that choosing myself is not selfish. Taking care of myself is not something I should feel guilty about. Wanting peace, happiness, success, and love does not mean I am asking for too much.
I chose this healing journey for me.
I chose to work on myself because I deserve to know who I am without the weight of someone else’s hurtful words. I chose to create The Celebratory Collection because I wanted to help others celebrate themselves while I learned how to celebrate myself. Every affirmation I share, every blog I write, and every product I create also reminds me of the person I am becoming.
I am replacing the words that hurt me with words that heal me:
I am worthy.
I am valuable.
My feelings matter.
My voice matters.
I deserve to be treated with love and respect.
I deserve good things without feeling guilty.
I am allowed to believe in myself.
I am not everything they said I was.
Healing does not erase what happened, but it is helping me take away its power. I may still have moments when I doubt myself, but I am learning not to stay there. I am becoming more patient with myself. I am celebrating my progress instead of criticizing how long the journey is taking.
Most importantly, I am learning that my worth was never something another person had the power to give me or take away. It was always inside me, even during the years when I couldn’t see it.
If you grew up hearing words that made you feel worthless, please remember this: those words do not belong to you. You do not have to keep carrying them. You can question them, challenge them, and slowly replace them with the truth.
You are not what someone said to you during your most vulnerable years. You are not the pain they placed upon you. You are worthy of love, peace, healing, and every good thing life has to offer.
I am still getting those hurtful words out of my head. I am still learning to believe in myself. But every day that I choose myself, speak kindly to myself, and continue moving forward, their voices become quieter—and mine becomes stronger.
I am not worthless.
I never was.
I am worthy of celebrating, and so are you.
Journal Prompt
What hurtful words from your past are you still carrying? What loving and truthful words can you begin replacing them with today?


Comments
Post a Comment