Today, I’m beginning a new series about something many of us struggle with: learning to believe we deserve good things.
You may wonder why anyone would have difficulty believing they deserve happiness, love, peace, success, or kindness. But when you have experienced abuse, trauma, rejection, or years of being made to feel like you don’t matter, believing you deserve something good can be difficult.
Sometimes, the hardest part of healing isn’t recognizing what hurt you. It’s learning to believe you are worthy of something better.
When You’ve Been Taught You Don’t Deserve More
For a long time, I was made to feel like I didn’t matter. I was told and shown that I didn’t deserve nice things or good experiences. Eventually, those hurtful messages became thoughts I repeated to myself.
Even when I had an opportunity to do something for myself, I often felt guilty. Instead of enjoying it, I questioned whether I deserved it. I felt like taking care of myself was selfish and that spending time, love, or money on myself was wrong.
That is what emotional abuse can do. It can make you question your value long after the person’s words have stopped.
You may leave the situation, but their voice can remain in your mind. It may tell you that you aren’t good enough, that happiness won’t last, or that you should feel guilty for wanting more.
Healing means learning how to replace that voice with your own.
Good Things Can Feel Uncomfortable at First
When you are used to surviving, peace can feel unfamiliar. Healthy love may feel suspicious. Receiving help can make you uncomfortable. A compliment might be difficult to accept, and happiness may make you wonder when something bad will happen.
You may even push good things away because disappointment feels safer than hope.
That doesn’t mean you are ungrateful or broken. It means your mind learned how to protect you during difficult times. But survival mode doesn’t have to become your permanent home.
You are allowed to feel safe without waiting for something to go wrong.
You are allowed to experience happiness without believing it will be taken away.
You are allowed to receive love without proving that you earned it.
Your Past Does Not Decide What You Deserve
The things that happened to you do not determine your worth. The way someone treated you does not define what you deserve. Their inability to love, respect, or protect you properly was never proof that you were unworthy.
You have always deserved kindness.
You have always deserved respect.
You have always deserved to feel safe.
You have always deserved good things—even during the times when you couldn’t believe it.
Learning this takes time. You may have to remind yourself repeatedly until those words finally begin to feel true. Every time you choose yourself, set a boundary, accept support, rest without guilt, or allow yourself to enjoy something, you are rebuilding your belief in your worth.
You Don’t Have to Earn Your Right to Be Happy
You do not have to become perfect before you deserve happiness. You don’t have to heal every wound, reach every goal, lose a certain amount of weight, make more money, or prove yourself to everyone.
You are worthy right now.
You deserve to celebrate your progress, even if you still have healing to do. You deserve to enjoy your life while you are becoming the person you want to be.
Doing something good for yourself does not take anything away from anyone else. Self-care isn’t selfish. Rest isn’t laziness. Having boundaries doesn’t make you mean. Wanting a better life doesn’t make you ungrateful.
It means you are finally recognizing that your life matters too.
Start With One Small Good Thing
Believing you deserve good things may not happen overnight. Start small.
Let yourself accept a compliment without talking yourself out of it. Buy yourself something within your means without feeling guilty. Rest when your body needs it. Say yes to an opportunity that excites you. Spend time with people who make you feel safe. Celebrate a win without minimizing it.
When something good happens, pause before questioning it. Try saying:
“I am allowed to receive this.”
You may not completely believe it the first time, but keep saying it. Healing often begins with practicing a new truth before it feels natural.
This Is the Beginning of a New Series
In this new series, we will talk about releasing guilt, rebuilding self-worth, accepting love, receiving support, setting boundaries, celebrating our accomplishments, and making room for joy.
This journey is personal for me because I am still learning too. I’m learning that I deserve peace after surviving pain. I deserve love that doesn’t hurt. I deserve to care for myself without shame. I deserve to dream about a better future—and so do you.
You are not asking for too much by wanting something good.
You are not selfish for choosing yourself.
You do not have to apologize for healing, growing, or becoming happy.
Good things are not only meant for other people. They are meant for you, too.
This is your reminder: You deserve good things simply because you are worthy of them.
Journal Prompt
What good things have I struggled to believe I deserve, and whose voice taught me to feel that way? What new truth do I want to begin telling myself today?
Please remember that healing is not a straight line. If these feelings are connected to trauma or abuse, consider talking with a trusted mental-health professional or support person.

Comments
Post a Comment